Tuesday 31 December 2013

Fun with Accents

Reflections and recollections continue as we prepare to leave 2013 in the rear view mirror. In this post Carolyn remembers the slight Canadian accent Akshay had and the way he would roll his eyes.
Akshay used to come to the office with us, and the poor boy would be quite bored on the days we were packed with work. One day, he sauntered up to Raj's table, and asked him, "What are you working on?" Raj told him we had to do a card for some client. So he said, "Why don't you do a poem? You can get them online" " A what?" I asked, because our Canadian boy pronounced it pome. "POME", he said pronouncing the word clearly to this half deaf Carolyn Auntie. "Oh A poyem!" I exclaimed in my best South Indian English. The little boy instantly gave me a very teenage eye-roll and walked away. The rest of the day, he kept teasing me, talking to me in his version of a South Indian accent. At which I would reply in his Canadian accent... We had good times - Akshay and I.
Here are Akshay's friends in his room on his second anniversary.
This is Roshan,grown bigger now. He and Akshay were about the same height.

No comments:

Post a Comment